Removal of civilian workers from the reception camp at Barysaw (today Barysau / Belarus) on March 27, 1944 (Federal Archives Freiburg)

Citizens of many Eu­ro­pe­an coun­tries were in­terned at Floss­en­bürg. From May 1938 to May 1944, the SS and Ge­sta­po au­tho­rized the de­por­ta­tion of 22,000 men to the camp. An ad­di­tion­al 78,000 pris­on­ers, in­clud­ing 16,000 wom­en, ar­rived in the fi­nal year of the war. Over half the in­mates were from Po­land and the So­vi­et Un­ion. This fig­ure also in­clud­ed over 22,700 Jew­ish pris­on­ers, main­ly from Po­land and Hun­ga­ry.

The first pri­s­on­ers were Ger­mans and Aus­trians from the Dach­au, Buch­en­wald, and Sachs­en­haus­en con­cen­tra­tion camps. Be­ginn­ing in 1940, the Ge­sta­po trans­ferred for­eign forced la­bor­ers and pri­s­on­ers of war to Floss­en­bürg. The SS de­port­ed Poles, Rus­sians, Be­la­ru­sians, Ukrai­ni­ans and Slo­ven­ians from the oc­cu­pied ter­ri­to­ries.


Citizens of France, the Neth­er­lands, Bel­gium, Lux­em­burg, It­a­ly, Yu­go­sla­via and Greece ar­rived at Floss­en­bürg via oth­er con­cen­tra­tion camps. More than three-quar­ters of the pris­on­ers re­gis­tered at Floss­en­bürg ar­rived in the fi­nal year of the war. Af­ter the War­saw up­ris­ing was crushed and the Plasz­ow, Auschwitz and Groß-Ros­en con­cen­tra­tion camps were evac­u­at­ed, thou­sands of Poles and Pol­ish Jews ar­rived at Floss­en­bürg. Se­ver­al thou­sand pris­on­ers from the Buch­en­wald con­cen­tra­tion camp death marches ar­rived at Floss­en­bürg only days be­fore its dis­so­lu­tion.


Back «» Next