Former prisoner barracks and cemetery for concentration camp victims, early 1950s<br /><br />The barrack located on the diagonal in the background housed the former camp kitchen, latrine and showers. The Michelsberg hill is located in the far background.
Former prisoner barracks and cemetery for concentration camp victims, early 1950s

 

The Hersbruck concentration subcamp consisted of some 30 buildings, the majority of which were wooden barracks. In winter 1944-1945 the prisoner barracks at the Hersbruck subcamp were badly overcrowded. Several prisoners were forced to share each bunk. The damp soil caused the floors of the barracks to rot, and the roofs leaked water. The barracks were unheated, and sanitary facilities were inadequate. Up to 35 inmates died every day as a result of the inhumane conditions at the camp.

After liberation in 1945, a cemetery was established on the former camp ground for the prisoners who had died there. The bodies of the prisoners were reinterred at the memorial cemetery in Flossenbürg in 1945. A housing estate was then built on the former camp grounds.

Drawing by Szmuel Laitner, after 1945<br /><br />Szmuel Laitner, a Polish Jew, recorded his memories of incarceration at Hersbruck.
Drawing by Szmuel Laitner, after 1945
Back «» Next



 
Suche