Reich Labor Service compound, Hersbruck 1936
Reich Labor Service compound, Hersbruck 1936

In 1944, a Reich Labor Service compound was used as SS headquarters and lodgings at the Hersbruck subcamp. The SS administration oversaw the subcamp, reported escaped prisoners to the Gestapo, carried out orders from the main Flossenbürg camp, scheduled guard duty for the SS, and assigned prisoners to forced labor commandos.

There were nearly 400 SS officers at Hersbruck, who supervised over 9,000 prisoners at the subcamp. Nearly half the prisoners at Hersbruck perished at the camp.

After 1945, the former headquarters were converted to a secondary school, and later to a tax authority building. In 1983, after much controversy and debate, the youth council of the German Trade Union Federation donated the memorial stones in front of the last extant building of the former concentration camp.

Former Tax Authority Building with memorial stones, Hersbruck 2007.
Former Tax Authority Building with memorial stones, Hersbruck 2007.

In 2007 the former SS headquarters were demolished. A tax authority building was erected on the site.

Back «» Next



 
Suche