Bayreuth subcamp

June 13, 1944 to April 11, 1945

Prisoners

A total of 85 prisoners from nine countries (amongst them Russians, Poles, Germans, French, and Czechs), the highest number of prisoners was 63 at one time (November 1944). The prisoners were mostly skilled tradesmen and technicians.

Forced labor and quarters

Development of an aiming device for remote controlled bombs in the “Institut für physikalische Forschung” under the directorship of the physicist Werner Rambauske. A part of the new Bayreuth spinning mill was sectioned off to house the institute and accommodate the prisoners.

Guards

Detail leaders Adolf Nies, Arno Schmidt and 14 SS men

Death toll

No verifiable deaths

Disbanding of the camp / end of the war

On April 11, 1945, the prisoners were forced to march to Flossenbürg; one Italian died. Shortly after, with the disbanding of the main camp, they were sent on the death marches southward.

Commemoration

A commemorative stone on the lawn at the intersection of Spinnereistraße and Nordring remembers the Bayreuth subcamp.
Bayreuth - Bild 1New Bayreuth cotton spinning mill after the air arid of April 11, 1945, National Archives, Washington D.C.Bayreuth - Bild 2Adolf Nies, undated, Bundesarchiv Berlin. Nies was the detail leader at the Bayreuth subcamp, later in the Mittweida subcamp.