Dresden (SS-Pionier-Kaserne) subcamp

June 1942 to April 15, 1945. The longest existing Flossenbürg subcamp and the first in Dresden

Prisoners

The first prisoners were builders – mostly Germans, along with a few Polish, Russian, and Czech inmates. They were joined later by Slovenians, Italians, French, and prisoners from four further countries. Prisoners were frequently transferred back to Flossenbürg. In December 1943, 198 men were in the SS-Pionier-Kaserne, at the end of February their number was still 120.

Forced labor and quarters

Building an auxiliary military sickbay in the SS-Pionier-Kaserne and other building work such as converting schools into medical facilities. Prisoners from Dresden were forced to do building work in other subcamps as well (Neuhirschstein Castle, Seifhennersdorf). The men were quartered in three large garages, one of which also served as a washing facility.

Guards

Guard duty was performed at night by members of the Waffen SS injured at the front. Whereas detail leader Josef Schmatz and his deputy and successor Kurt Markgraf violently mistreated the prisoners, detail leader Wilhelm Hartmann was considered too soft (see Seifhennersdorf) and replaced.

Death toll

Between three and seven dead (according to eyewitness statements)

Disbanding of the camp / end of the war

The camp was disbanded around April 15, 1945, and the prisoners forced to march in the direction of Schmiedeberg. Numerous prisoners succeeded in escaping. The prisoners were liberated on May 8.

Commemoration

None
Dresden (SS-Pionier-Kaserne) - Bild 1SS-Pionier-Kaserne Dresden, view of the parade hall, 1941, Deutsche Fotothek Dresden.Dresden (SS-Pionier-Kaserne) - Bild 2Buildings of the former SS-Pionier-Kaserne, 2006. Located in the buildings today are, for example, an education center and a retail store selling building materials.