Dresden (Universelle) subcamp

October 9, 1944 to mid-April 1945. In October 1944, three subcamps for female prisoners were established in Dresden: two for Zeiss Ikon AG (in the Goehle-Werk and Dresden-Reick), one in the Universelle machinery factory.

Prisoners

All prisoners were deported from the Ravensbrück concentration camp. The first transport with 500 women in October 1944, another 200 in February 1945. German political prisoners, “asocials” and “gypsies” were in the majority, with Latvian, Russian, Serbian, and Czech women. 685 prisoners were entered as “released” in the company’s records for March 26, 1945.

Forced labor and quarters

Assembling of regulators for airplane engines in the works of the Universelle machinery factory (Florastraße 14). The women were quartered in the upper two floors of the building, while others were accommodated in a barracks on the factory grounds and worked in a factory hall in Zwickauer Straße.

Guards

SS guards, female overseers. Head overseer Charlotte Hanakam, from October 1944 Ida Guhl acted as detail leaders. Hanakam brutally mistreated prisoners.

Death toll

Many women were reported to have died from direct bomb hits on the factory on February 14, 1945. No fatalities were entered into the Flossenbürg registers.

Disbanding of the camp / end of the war

Many women took advantage of the chaos after the bombing to escape. Fewer than 100 prisoners were marched to Mockethal-Zatzschke, where some women are said to have been killed. The remaining women were forced to march on to Pirna; the march came under attack by planes and dispersed. The surviving women were liberated by the Allies.

Commemoration

Art project "Engravings of war": Reminder Depot Place 17, a stainless steel case embedded in the ground, marked in 2001. A newspaper supplement documented the places and their significance.
Dresden (Universelle) - Bild 1Florastraße in Dresden, 2004. The former Universelle factory has been demolished, nothing recalls the subcamp.*Zwickauer Straße in Dresden, 2006. Prisoners also had to work in this factory for Universelle. After the war, the state enterprise Tabakuni built tobacco machines here. Today the factory halls are vacant.Dresden (Universelle) - Bild 2