Freiberg subcamp

August 31, 1944 to April 14, 1945

Prisoners

In several transports 1,000 Jewish women from the Auschwitz concentration camp were deported to Freiberg. Over 500 were from Poland, along with 178 Czechs, 158 Slovakians, 90 Germans, 23 Dutch, and 15 Hungarians as well as women from four further countries.

Forced labor and quarters

Metal work on airplane parts for the aviation company Arado, Potsdam (codename in Freiberg: Freia GmbH); bomb sights for the V2 for the optic company Max Hildebrand; various outdoor labor work (e.g. felling of Christmas trees) for the Freiberg town authority. The women were initially quartered in the factory, from January 1945 in a barracks compound two kilometers away with extremely poor hygienic conditions.

Guards

Detail leader Beck, 22 SS guards, 28 female overseers (March 1945)

Death toll

Eight deaths were entered into the registers.

Disbanding of the camp / end of the war

The subcamp was evacuated on April 14, 1945. The women were transported by railway across the whole of the “Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia” to Mauthausen, where they arrived on April 29 and were liberated by U.S. troops on May 5, 1945.

Commemoration

A commemorative plaque on the former administrative building of the factory remembers the prisoners in the Freiberg subcamp. The building is today the seat of the Freiberg district administrative office. An installation in the entrance area of the profession school on the former camp site.
Freiberg - Bild 1Freiberg district administrative office, 2004. The airplane manufacturer Arado produced here in the former porcelain factory during the war.Freiberg - Bild 2Commemorative plaques at the entrance to the district administrative office, 2004.Freiberg - Bild 3Former prisoners in front of the porcelain factory Freiberg, 2004. During the International Youth Meet in Flossenbürg, former prisoners visited Freiberg together with the youths. Today, the building in which they once had to assemble aircraft parts is vacant.Freiberg - Bild 4The former barracks of the prisoner camp in Freiberg, 2004. After the war, a technical college used the prisoner barracks. Today, only one building remains.