The Hersbruck subcamp, aerial picture of camp plans, 1945
The Hersbruck subcamp, aerial picture of camp plans, 1945

Beginning in July 1944, the SS imprisoned concentration camp inmates on the grounds of a compound formerly used by the Reich Labor Service.

Reich Labor Service barracks with gymnasium, 1936<br /><br />The first prisoners at the Hersbruck subcamp were housed in the gymnasium. A large complex of barracks is under constructin next to the gymnasium.
Reich Labor Service barracks with gymnasium, 1936

The Hersbruck subcamp, which was one of the largest Flossenbürg subcamps with over thirty barracks and other buildings, was built to the east of the compound. The compound itself housed the SS headquarters. Nearly 10,000 prisoners were held at the Hersbruck subcamp before its evacuation in March 1945.

After liberation, the camp grounds were used as an internment camp for SS members, and later as a displaced persons’ camp. In the early 1950s, the town of Hersbruck demolished the barracks. A housing estate and tennis courts were built on the site. The new construction effectively erased the traces of the former concentration camp.

» Next



 
Suche