March 13, 1945 - April 4, 1945
Ansbach train station after an air raid on February 23, 1945 (Stadtarchiv Ansbach)
Ansbach abattoirs seen from the Rezathalle, undated (Stadtarchiv Ansbach). The prisoners were quartered here.
Over half of the 700 prisoners were non-Jewish Poles and Russians, a third Jewish Poles and Hungarians. The remaining prisoners came from a further 19 nations.
The prisoners cleared railway lines of bomb damage for the German National Railways. They were quartered on the spectator stands of the Rezathalle and its surroundings, close to the slaughterhouse and the main train station.
The prisoners were housed in workshops. In February 1945, a typhoid epidemic broke out, which was worsened by the catastrophic hygiene conditions. In March 1945, 618 prisoners worked for Messerschmidt, another 22 for the commando "Scientific Department."
24 guards (members of the Flossenbürg SS, the armed forces, and the Volkssturm)
At least 72 dead. Between three and five prisoners died each day.
The Ansbach subcamp was disbanded on April 4, 1945. Most of the prisoners were transferred to Flossenbürg, more than 90 were sent to the Munich-Allach subcamp attached to the Dachau concentration camp.
A commemorative site dedicated to the 56 victims of the subcamp, inaugurated in 1950, is located at the Woodlands Cemetery. The details of the inscription on the commemorative stone made of Flossenbürg granite are incorrect, stating 58 (correct: 56) victims of a death march (correct: the Ansbach subcamp).