November 24, 1944 – Mid-April 1945
The F6 Cigarette Factory Dresden, 2002 (Photo: Flossenbürg Concentration Camp Memorial). The prisoners were quartered here and forced to work for the armaments company Bernsdorf.
Aerial view of Dresden with the former cigarette factory (front right), 2019 (Flossenbürg Concentration Camp Memorial / Photo: Rainer Viertlböck)
500 Jewish prisoners, including entire families, were deported from the Lodz Ghetto, via the Stutthof concentration camp, to Dresden. Most of the 216 men and 284 women and children were Polish. Also registered were a few German, Czech, Hungarian, and Lithuanian Jews.
Production of machine gun munitions for the company Bernsdorf & Co. Men and women were given separate quarters in the upper floors of the factory. After extensive bomb damage during an air raid on Dresden, the prisoners were transferred to the Mockethal subcamp. Later, most of them were forced to clear debris in Dresden.
15 SS men and female overseers each. Detail leader Schmerse and head overseer Ida Guhl were especially feared for their violent treatment of the prisoners.
At least 16 people died of malnourishment or illness. The air raid of February 13, 1945 also claimed further victims. Some prisoners were shot dead while in Mockethal.
In mid-April 1945, the prisoners were forced to march via Zwodau to Theresienstadt, where they were liberated on May 8, 1945.
At the initiative of a former prisoner, a commemorative plaque was erected in October 2002 on the building of the former subcamp. The building houses - as before the war - a cigarette factory.