Gedächtnisallee 5
D-92696 Flossenbürg

+49 9603-90390-0

Dresden (Reichsbahn) Subcamp

March 24, 1945 – Mid-April 1945

  • Locomotive halls of the former RAW Dresden, 1992 (Deutsche Fotothek Dresden / Photo: S. Bregulla).

  • Aerial photo of the Dresden-Friedrichstadt Train Station, 2019 (Flossenbürg Concentration Camp Memorial / Photo: Rainer Viertlböck).

Prisoners

Among the 500 men were 180 polish prisoners (60 of them Jewish), almost 90 Russians, over 80 Jewish Hungarians, Italians, French, Czechs, and Belgians. Single prisoners came from a further eight nations.

Mindestens 14 der Häftlinge waren bereits zuvor im Dresdner Bahnhof Friedrichstadt im Außenlager Reichsbahnausbesserungswerk.

Forced labor and quarters

Repairing the destroyed tracks for the German Railways. It is unclear where the prisoners were quartered: the address given is the German National Railways Repair Works Dresden Friedrichstadt. Witnesses report however that the prisoners were quartered in a building near a station hall.

Guards

Detail leader Franz Rohloff and 63 low-ranking SS Men, including two dog handlers.

Death toll

Unknown

Disbanding of the camp / end of the war

Before the targeted bombing of the railway facilities on April 17, 1945, the prisoners had to go on an evacuation march to the outer camp Leitmeritz. Some died there, while others died after the liberation in Theresienstadt.

Commemoration

A commemorative stone is in front of one of the former RAW buildings on today's Emerich-Ambros-Ufer.