Gedächtnisallee 5
D-92696 Flossenbürg

+49 9603-90390-0

Janowitz (Vrchotovy Janovice) Subcamp

July 24, 1944 – end of March 1945

  • Aerial view of the former factory grounds in Vrchotovy Janovice, 2019 (Flossenbürg Concentration Camp Memorial / Photo: Rainer Viertlböck)


200 men, almost half of whom were Russian, 40 each French and Polish, one each German and Czech, and prisoners from seven other countries.

Forced labor and quarters

Erecting a building for the SS assault gun school; working in a quarry; unloading wagons; building a second platform at Cichovka station; and road maintenance work. The prisoners were quartered in a barracks compound secured with barbed wire and guard towers, located close to Janowitz. After a typhus epidemic they were moved to a farm property near Kschepenitz (Křepenice) close to Chlum.


Detail leader Friedrich Christel, later Willibald Richter, two non-commissioned officers and 39 SS men.

Death toll

The head Kapo Helmut Lindner killed fellow prisoners through violent mistreatment. Numerous executions by shooting during the evacuation march claimed the lives of many victims.

Disbanding of the camp / end of the war

At the end of April 1945, the prisoners were transported to Prague by truck and train, joining a large prisoner transport heading in the direction of Budweis (České Budějovice). On May 8, the survivors were liberated by Czech partisans near Kaplitz (Kaplice).


Since 1982, there is a monument at the “Neuer Teich”, where the guard squad’s dog kennel once stood.