December 2, 1944 – April 16, 1945
Exterior and interior views of the prisoner barracks in Mehltheuer, without date (Flossenbürg Concentration Camp Memorial).
Former tulle factory Mehltheuer, 2006 (Flossenbürg Concentration Camp Memorial). Today the premises is used by a print media wholesaler.
In December, 200 Jewish-Polish women arrived from Bergen-Belsen. 146 Jewish prisoners, mostly Hungarian women, arrived in March 1945 at Mehltheuer from the disbanded subcamp Nuremberg (SSW).
Production of machinery parts for the Vogtländische Maschinenfabrik AG (VOMAG) on the disused premises of a textile company. They were quartered in a barrack connected to the factory.
Some of the women were possibly deployed in airplane production at a factory in the woods some five kilometers from Mehltheuer. The women from Nuremberg were quartered on the factory’s upper floor and had to work on the basement floor.
20 SS guards and 18 female overseers. While one female overseer mistreated mostly older women, detail leader Fischer arranged for improved food rations and hygienic conditions.
A woman died in March 1945, another shortly after the liberation of the camp.
On April 16, 1945, an SS unit intended to evacuate the camp. Detail leader Fischer refused to obey the transport order and the camp was liberated by U.S. troops.