Gedächtnisallee 5
D-92696 Flossenbürg

+49 9603-90390-0

Bayreuth Subcamp

June 13, 1944 - April 11, 1945

  • New Bayreuth cotton spinning mill after the air raid of April 11, 1945 (National Archives, Washington D.C.)

  • Aerial photo of the former factory grounds, Bayreuth 2018 (Flossenbürg Concentration Camp Memorial / Photo: Rainer Viertlböck)

  • Adolf Nies, without date (Bundesarchiv Berlin). Nies was the detail leader at the Bayreuth subcamp, later in the Mittweida subcamp.


A total of 85 prisoners from nine countries (among them Russians, Poles, Germans, French, and Czechs), the highest number of prisoners was 63 at one time (November 1944). The prisoners were mostly skilled tradesmen and technicians.

Forced labor and quarters

Development of an aiming device for remote controlled bombs in the "Institute of Physical Research" (Institut für physikalische Forschung) under the directorship of the physicist Werner Rambauske. A part of the new Bayreuth spinning mill was sectioned off to house the institute and quarter the prisoners.


Detail leaders Adolf Nies, Arno Schmidt and 14 SS men

Death toll

No verifiable deaths

Disbanding of the camp / end of the war

On April 11, 1945, the prisoners were forced to march to Flossenbürg; one Italian died. Shortly after, with the disbanding of the main camp, they were sent on death marches southward.


A commemorative stone on the lawn at the intersection of Spinnereistraße and Nordring memorializes the Bayreuth subcamp.