September 15, 1944 – February 19, 1945
Railway halls of the former Repair Works Dresden, 1992 (Deutsche Fotothek Dresden / Photo: S. Bregulla)
Aerial photo of the Dresden-Friedrichstadt Train Station, 2019 (Flossenbürg Concentration Camp Memorial / Photo: Rainer Viertlböck).
The first transport was 300 prisoners who were arrested in the wake of the Warsaw uprising. On a second transport, 300 prisoners arrived from Groß-Rosen, mainly Polish and Russians, along with a few Czechs, Lithuanians, Germans, French, and Croatians. In November 1944, 597 prisoners were registered.
Repairing damaged wagons for the National Railways Repair Works (RAW) on Weißeritz-Ufer (today Emmerich-Ambros-Ufer). The prisoners were most likely quartered in an unheated locomotive hall. The men of both transports worked separately in day and night shifts.
Between 25 and 32 SS men (including Hungarian Germans and Ukrainians). Detail leader Rudolf Becher was responsible for the violent treatment of prisoners.
At least 80 deaths; at least eight prisoners were shot while trying to escape. During the air raids of February 13, 1945, 51 people died.
On February 19, 1945, the prisoners who had survived the air raids on Dresden were transferred back to Flossenbürg main camp. Many of them died there shortly afterward. The remaining prisoners were sent to different subcamps or camps set aside for the dying.
Mindestens 14 der Gefangenen kommen im März wieder zurück zum Dresdner Bahnhof Friedrichstadt in das Außenlager Reichsbahn.
A memorial stone is located in front of one of the former Repair Works buildings on today’s Emmerich-Ambros-Ufer.