End of June 1943 – April 1945
Secretly taken photo of the Grafenreuth camp grounds, 1943 (Private Archive). The photo was taken from the brickyard opposite the camp. The railway line is now the Bockl bicycle path that leads from Neustadt/Waldnaab to Eslarn.
Aerial photo of the former camp grounds, 2018 (Flossenbürg Concentration Camp Memorial / Photo: Rainer Viertlböck)
At first, mainly Germans, Polish, Russian, and French prisoners, later also Czechs, Yugoslavians, and one Italian. Highest number of prisoners: 150 (August 2, 1944), from the end of 1944 around 80 prisoners.
Construction of a clothing warehouse for the SS, which was enclosed with barbed wire and surrounded by guard towers, and barracks. The prisoners were quartered in one of the barracks. Transporting of bricks for the adjacent brickyard; construction work on the connecting train track that led into the camp grounds.
SS guards from Flossenbürg. Detail leader Kübler pushed the prisoners to the limit and withheld food rations for his personal use. His successor Voigt ensured that the availability of rations improved.
One prisoner was shot while trying to escape. Ill prisoners were sent back to the nearby main camp at Flossenbürg.
The subcamp was evacuated in April 1945. The prisoners were forced to join a march that had started from the main Flossenbürg camp. U.S. troops liberated the prisoners near Cham.
Since 2015, two information panels memorialize the subcamp.