September 27, 1944 – April 17, 1945
The northernmost subcamp of Flossenbürg, located close to Riesa.
Machinery-building complex of the Mitteldeutsche Stahlwerke Gröditz, around 1940 (Schmiedewerke Gröditz). The prisoners worked and were quartered in one section of the giant factory hall.
Aerial view of the factory grounds in Gröditz, 2019 (Flossenbürg Concentration Camp Memorial / Photo: Rainer Viertlböck)
A total of almost 1,000 men. 270 each from Poland and Russia, over 120 from France, over 50 each from Germany and Italy, with the others from a further 11 nations
In March 1945, about 260 Jewish prisoners from 14 countries arrived, among them 70 from Hungary. The highest number of prisoners was 743 (April 13, 1945).
Construction of anti-aircraft guns for the Mitteldeutsche Stahlwerke (part of the Flick group). The prisoners worked in a separate section of the machine-building area and were quartered on the cramped attic floor.
64 SS men
At least 220 prisoners died in the camp, many of them as a result of a typhus epidemic, which also claimed the life of detail leader Körmann.
The factory managers transported 400 to 500 prisoners who were able to work by truck to Radebeul. From there the prisoners were then forced on a march to Theresienstadt, where they were liberated.
186 ill prisoners were shot dead in a sandpit in nearby Koselitz. A work detail of 30 prisoners had to remove all trace of the subcamp and was liberated after a death march by the Red Army in the area of Zinnwald.
In Koselitz, a gravesite memorializes the 186 prisoners shot dead. The prisoners who died in Gröditz were buried at various cemeteries after the war. In 2004, a gravesite at the Gröditz Cemetery was inaugurated.