Welcome banner in front of the Kommandant headquarters, US Army Signal Corps, April 30, 1945 (National Archives, Washington D.C.)
Welcome banner in front of the Kommandant headquarters, April 30, 1945

As the concentration camp was discovered by American soldiers, neither they nor the newly liberated prisoners had any ideas how to commemorate the criminal acts committed in this place. The treatment and burial of the bodies were only spontaneous acts of commemoration, which granted the victims, whose personalities, names and lives had been stolen from them, a respectful treatment after their death.

In almost all of the liberated concentration camps the respectful burial of the dead was the first act of commemoration and remembrance.

 

 

Although in the following years the buildings and structures in other liberated concentration camps were preserved and exhibitions and museums were developed, in Flossenbürg the commemoration and preservation work was left untouched.

The camp's former grounds were now used for various other needs. After 1945 the prisoners' barracks were used as housing barracks for captive SS men, refugees and survivors of other concentration camps. In 1948 a large part of the former camp was used by a trade union owned company, which reactivated the quarry. On the roll call grounds, between the prisoners' kitchen and laundry buildings, industry buildings were erected.

» Next



 
Suche